Tuesday, January 24, 2012

DNS, DNS, where art thou DNS?

While configuring my router last night I began to wonder what the DNS settings were.  Windows 7 now indicates that DNS is at an external address - being that of the router (of course the gateway).  I stumbled across a post on the comcast6 website where they published the IPv6 DNS entries and began to wonder if my network was using those values?   After poking around for awhile I was unable to determine what DNS my PC is actually using.  Windows 7 is simply forwarding all DNS requests to the gateway address.

The router allows one to override certain settings in the IPv4 configuration.  This particular router allows a hybrid autoconfig scheme where it pulls in settings via DHCP and the user may then override specific settings as needed.  However no such interface exists on the IPv6 configuration UI.   Actually, I wasn't able to find a place to define any network based settings at this level for IPv6.

This is more of an academic quest - IPv6 DNS is working.  I know that DHCP has morphed under IPv6, and I need to read the IPv6 specification a bit more closely than I have so far.

I'll get right on that as soon as I catch up on back episodes of TopGear.


No comments:

Post a Comment